dcsimg
 

Search our network of local contractors for free estimates:

  • Windows
  • Siding
  • Kitchens
  • Bathrooms
  • Roofing
  • Basements
  • Cabinets

Learn the Importance of Mold Testing in Households

Learn the Importance of Mold Testing in Households

Looking For a Home Maintenance Contractor Fast?

February 29, 2008

Mold is an important part of the natural environment. But, when it begins to grow in your home you face a potentially serious health problem that requires immediate attention.  For this reason, you should make mold testing and prevention a top home maintenance priority.

Molds create allergens (particles that can cause allergic reactions), irritants and in some cases toxic substances as well.  Touching or breathing mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions including symptoms such as red eyes, sneezing, runny nose, and even skin rashes.  Mold is also particularly harmful to those with Asthma and mold allergies and can cause eye, skin, nose, throat and lung irritation in those that are allergic as well as not allergic to mold.

Where Does The Mold Come From?

The simple answer is outside.  It is nearly impossible to stop mold spores from entering your home every time you open a door or window, and for the most part, they won't cause much of a problem.  However, when they land on wet surfaces mold may begin to grow and reproduce in your home.  Mold growth in your home can be controlled and prevented by controlling moisture in your home.  No moisture means no mold, it's as simple as that. 

How Will I Know if I Have a Mold Problem?

The sight or smell of mold is the easiest way to tell if you have a mold problem.  Allergic symptoms that do not go away while inside may also be another clue to a mold problem.  You can also purchase mold-testing kits that will allow you to determine if you have toxic mold, allergenic mold, or simply a cosmetic problem.

How Can I Get Rid Of My Mold Problem?

The most important aspect of mold remediation is to eliminate the source of moisture that is causing the mold problem.  If you clean up the mold but fail to fix the moisture problem then the mold will most likely return.

It is possible to clean up minor mold problems on your own.  Typically, a mold infestation of less than 10 square feet can be easily solved by the average do-it-yourselfer. 

Step one is to fix your water problem.  Mold can't grow without water. Put on protective equipment such as gloves, eye protection and an N-95 respirator. Next, scrub the infected surface with detergent and water and allow it to dry completely.  If the mold has infested absorbent or porous materials, such as carpet or ceiling tiles, they will more than likely need to be thrown away and replaced.

Home mold infestations can cause serious illnesses as well as cost thousands of dollars to repair if allowed to linger.  Make mold inspections a regular routine and you will breathe easier knowing that you are not inhaling potentially harmful toxins or allowing mold to damage your home.

For other related information about mold testing in households

Share |